[asterisk-app-dev] Channel indications

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Oct 21 08:15:39 CDT 2013

Paul Belanger wrote:
> On to the next topic :D
>
> So, Josh has a patch up on reviewboard[1] that adds indication support
> to /channels. After looking at the patch, it looks like we 2 basic
> ways of controlling a channel with /channel/:id
>
> Either you can use:
>
> /answer
> /hold
>
> or you can use:
>
> /indicate?name=busy
>
> For the sake consistency I'd like to see us pick one.  I can go either
> way, but the more I think about it
>
> /indicate?name=answer
> /indicate?name=hold
> /indicate?name=busy
>
> would give us a cleaner API for channels.
>
> Thoughts?

I agree that the hold stuff should go into indicate but I'm torn on
moving answer there because having it separate makes the API more
approachable by non-telephony developers. They probably don't know about
indications and may not even ever need to. They do know what answer is
though right off the bat.

(That's personal preference, as I favor a balance of
clean/approachable/logical when it comes to API design).

--
Joshua Colp