[Dundi] DUNDi Docs

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Fri Sep 29 09:27:12 MST 2006

James,

Yes. I have a copy of it. The author, JR Richardson, sent me a copy in confidence before it was released publically. If you read the doc, you will see that his implementation does not used a tiered approach. When a registration server wants to find the location of a phone, it queries the DUNDi server, who in turn then queries every other registration server until it finds the phone. This is no more efficient than the registration server querying every other registration server itself. I don't see the value of this approach.

Mark Spencer made a post to this list back in October 2004, where he implied that you could use inbound/outbound models with precache in order to get a central (well, you'd want two for redundancy) DUNDi server that cached locations of phones, so that when a registration server queried it, it didn't have to go and ask elsewhere, but had direct knowledge of the whereabouts of the phone.

Here's the post.
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/dundi/2004-October/000189.html

Sadly, no other documentation exists in the known universe about this.

Douglas.