FW: [Dundi] DUNDi popularity

Anders Brownworth abrownworth-dundi at bandwidth.com
Fri Oct 13 07:44:23 MST 2006

to add some additional thoughts...
>> Yes, this is my question.  Would DUNDi be more successful in public
>> networks
>> if there were technical means to enforce the obligations of a peering
>> agreement, such as honest representation of the numbers a DUNDi
>> entity can
>> terminate and inter-carrier compensation.
>
> I don't see a reason it would be less successful, and it does open the
> door to the possibility of increased success.
>
> Since we already discussed using legal means of enforcement, what
> about if the protocol offered tracability of all exchanges, so that at
> the very least an IP address in known? In general this is easier to
> perform than lockdown (which will require the tracability anyway).

It seems to me an IP might be too little to go on. I suppose an X.509
encryption layer in the protocol would remove any ambiguity, but then we
forfeit some of the distributed nature of the system because we would
require a certificate authority. But without a central authority of some
sort, it's hard to see how we could eliminate error or fraud by purely
technical means. Might be interesting to get a number of entities with
SS7 presence to validate possibly on an ongoing basis. I hate
centralized, but...

-Anders