[Dundi] Newbie here

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Wed Sep 7 14:16:34 CDT 2005

On tor, 2005-09-01 at 18:31 -0500, Jason King wrote:
> That's cool. My question is, how does Dundi work?
> I'm not fully grasping the concept. Is it literally a free pstn
> gateway environment? Do I connect to many different Dundi servers?
> Would I be able to dial any number I wanted? Your input is greatly
> appreciated.

DUNDi is actually not that. DUNDi is more a way of connecting
independant boxes.

See it as a directory service inbetween asterisk boxes. If your local
box doesn't have the number that was dialed, DUNDi is asked and any box
that know the number (either the full number or by prefix) will answer
and give a target URI back, that let's you pass the call on.

Example: a company has 4 different locations, each location has a own
Asterisk box, that are maintained by local IT people. Nobody has access
to the box of the other offices.

DUNDi now makes it possible to automatically publish phoneno's existing
on each box inbetween the boxes + eventually, what external numbers
might be better to dial trough either of them.

This concept of course can be used in a bigger concept and for sharing
numbers worldwide.

Slán leat,
Martin List-Petersen
Mulrook, Co. Galway, Eire
(contact info on --> http://www.marlow.dk/)
--
To communicate is the beginning of understanding.
                         -- AT&T