[Dundi] Re: VoIP peering & routing protocols (revisited)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Apr 20 00:53:57 CDT 2005

At 11:15 AM -1000 on 4/19/05, Randy Bush wrote:
>does DUNDi not have the additional problem of not being open-license?
>
>randy

While I am not familiar with the intricacies of GPL vs. limited GPL
vs. [fill in license X], I will say that the DUNDi protocol was
developed with the intention of becoming an RFC, so I would hope that
the intent was to make the protocol a license-free effort, even
though there is certainly good precedent for that not being the case
on other standards proposals <coughMICROSOFTcough>.  While the
Asterisk implementation of DUNDi may currently be under the
Asterisk/Digium modified/limited GPL, I don't know if the protocol
itself is under the same license scheme.  I would suspect "No", but
simple questions like this tend to take up far too much time on
various mailing lists, so no assumption is safe.  I typically delete
those conversation threads, as they typically contain hysteria,
ignorance, or arrogance in varying blends and quantities.  I would
suggest that everyone who has an interest in such things to talk to a
lawyer for firm determination thereof, or move to a country where
such questions are legally irrelevant.

I simply wish everyone would move to BSD licenses, to avoid these
headaches and FUD, though I'm certain even that could be argued ad
infinitum.  Welcome to the planet of lawyers.