[Dundi] What requirements is DUNDi addressing?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Oct 31 11:20:14 CST 2004

A few comments on your thorough list of "problems" and "features":

1) While "cost" is not considered by many in this forum, it is of
paramount importance in a service provider environment, which may be
the first big traffic generators for DUNDi on a 'private'
interconnect basis.  It is also of paramount importance in enterprise
use.  I think that DUNDi might be well served by having some
discussion on cost data and even payment data, even if nobody wants
to use it today.  I think standardization of the format will
magically create vendors who would provide services for
inter-provider settlement.  (Note: this can be used inside a company
just as well - imagine if I have two * boxes, one with a PRI to
Vendor M and one with a PRI to Vendor X, and I want to have my calls
go to the "cheapest" PRI if possible.)

Fields that need to be considered for inclusion:
  - currency
  - cost interval (30/6, 1/1, ?)
  - cost per interval (first interval, per minute)
  - cost per interval (subsequent interval, per minute)
  - price-per call (if applicable)
  - reverse charge call status
  - billing data (payment processor? OSP data? paypal account?  that
sounds silly... but really might not be.)
  - others?

2) I'm not certain what inclusion of # of egress ports will provide,
though I think it's at least useful to provide in the result.  Unless
the system was "closed" (meaning each participant knew the state of
all other participants for call status) then this number would be
fairly useless, because it would only be on call transmission that
available trunk status could be determined.  It perhaps could be used
on some type of weighing mechanism for round-robin if multiple
answers were returned, I suppose.

3) Nobody ever commented in iDUNDi, which would be using DUNDi to
reverse-verify inbound calls to prevent SPIT, or TSPAM, or whatever
you want to call it.  I think this (if implemented and/or useful)
could be as much as 50% of the traffic on the e164 context of
DUNDi-speakers in the future.  If you're working on some overall
"problems to be solved" then perhaps this might be worth throwing
into the list.  Again, this is not mandatory for the protocol to
function, but might be mandatory before admission to a trust group.
Opinions?
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/dundi/2004-October/000108.html

JT