[Dundi] Looking Glass

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Sun Oct 31 10:22:54 CST 2004

The MD5 secret is, itself, the plaintext secret used to authenticate into
the web site, ergo although you cannot derive the original route from the
md5 sum, you could certainly still use that md5 sum to respond to the same
query again.  Normally hash authentication requires a "nonce" or random
value be included in the hash, thus making the hash usuable only once.

SSL does not require X.509 certificats.  We're not saying you have to use
SSL in order to authenticate, we're saying you need to use SSL to encrypt
only.  Yes, that makes man in the middle attacks possible, but that's also
a much more difficult thing to do than simply sniff the wire.  So
basically teh addition of SSL for encryption provides a very simple way to
add incrementally more security (although clearly not as strong as using a
certificate authority).  Of course there may be ways to use a DUNDi secret
to contain the md5 sum or something of the real cert, who knows :)

Mark