[Dundi] Looking Glass

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Fri Oct 29 00:55:38 CDT 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Mark Spencer wrote:

> > is a dim one with no such way to monitor, test and spot problems in the
> > network DUNDi+GPA will fail.  You yourself said DUNDi would either be a big
> > success or a huge flop.   The internet suffers the same issues... IP
> > addresses, whois records and websites.  I don't see any difference in this
> > vs call routing.  Anyway that's my two cents.
>
> You can test and spot problems in a more controlled way, we just have to
> determine what it is.  It's not that the tool is bad, it's that it's
> uncontrolled.  What can be done unauthenticated needs to be decided and
> that term "specific", ironically, made more specific.

If the concern is publishing information outside of the trust group, why
not have the tools available only to those that are within the trust
group? I.E. by forcing some unique form of identification that verifies
that they are the member that signed the GPA. I.E signed keys, in the pgp
style or something similar.

The mapping tool that Slepp and Jcollie built has proven to be pretty darn
valuable in visualizing the network structure, and making adjustments in
peering to improve efficiency and avoid useless loops.

As for the CEO of Vonage, when BGP was first introduced certain people in
the industry freaked out over the same issues, but everyone got over it
eventually.

Just my own late-night ramblings..

                             KP-216-121-ST