[Dundi] representation

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Oct 26 13:49:21 CDT 2004

At 11:22 AM -0500 on 10/26/04, Mark Spencer wrote:
>>Both +1700 and +1800 seem like parts of the E.164 number space
>>which do not fit well within any system which seeks to answer
>>questions like "where should I terminate a call to address B?".
>>Maybe what is needed is an extension to provide answers for "where
>>should I terminate a call to address B from address A?".
>
>what about 888, 866, 877 etc.  does that hold true for those numbers as well?
>
>If we have to use callerid, that could be very damaging to the cache
>if not properly implemented.
>
>Mrk

I agree, but I would say that it should never be implemented in the
e164 GPA-enforced peering mesh.  If we cannot assume that e.164
number represents unique ENDPOINTS, then we've kind of lost control
over any sort of hope for a global numbering space that is coherently
routed.  Origin of call cannot possibly regulate where a call ends up
in a public e.164-based inter-organization routing mesh.  Once a call
gets inside of a particular ITAD (Internet Telephony Authonomous
Domain - yes, I'm going to start using this term, since it's cleaner
than "organization" or "company" or "authority") then that ITAD can
route based on ANI or IP address of transmitter or whatever else they
want - I have no objections to internal policy.  But external policy
and routing announcements must be consistent across all those who
want to participate in the same "global" route exchange.  It just
won't work, otherwise.

The fact that North America has in the past (currently?) allocated
non-geographic toll-free numbers in a fashion that is insane does not
mean that we should be insane for all time to come by implementing
insane exceptions in DUNDi or any other route protocol.  Richard or
someone else more knowledgeable about ITU e.164 specifications can
correct me, but I was under the impression that one of the parts of
the specification were that destination numbers were to be unique and
non-overlapping in any portion of the number space.  The
determination of "unique" means that there is a registrant in the ITU
tables, and also in the national tables at _the_ regulatory authority
for that nation.  Seems pretty obvious, right?  Even if there are
various announcements by "carriers of record", "service providers",
and "end users", there is a clear legal responsibility chain across
all three entities which can be followed up to the ITU in a single
straight line.  This is what is needed.

Even if we have other nations where origin regulates destination
(some parts of Eastern Europe, I'm sure have this problem) that
SHOULD NOT CHANGE THE WAY ROUTES ARE ANNOUNCED in e164 in DUNDi.
Look, if N routes have to be announced with N^N variations for
different routes for different origins, we should pack our bags and
go home.  Origin has NOTHING to do with destination in a telephony
routing system where the assumption is free calling.

The mistakes and horrible hacks that have been done to numbering in
North America, with our impossible legacy of inclusions of no less
than 5 nations into a single "country" code, should not be a monkey
wrench in a routing protocol.  Simply because NANPA toll-free numbers
are broken (but may not be now?) please don't let this break DUNDi or
any other routing protocol.  We're getting over our geographic
attachments and ANI-based silly behaviors here; let's not allow these
shriveling portions of our past mistakes to halt or fundamentally
change progress with DUNDi and other protocols.

Simply because someone notifies NANPA or any other
national/international numbering authority about use of an "area
code" does not mean that area code is for their use, regardless of
their good intentions.  It's _not_ an e.164 number, regardless of who
they notify, and it shouldn't be in the "e164" context in DUNDi.  We
need a non-geographic numbering space here in North America, since
the +87810 space seems at this point to be a wasted effort despite my
previous high expectations.  Discussions were had at VON which gave
me hope on this front; if I'm successful in making any headway this
list will be one of the first to know.

Please note: I am not suggesting that it is undesirable to have
different costs based on origin or other criteria, and it may be
useful for DUNDi to be able to represent different destinations based
on origin (though I can't quite see how that would work...)  In fact,
I am a big proponent of a routing system that understands monetary
costs and can represent various different cost cases, perhaps based
on origin.  But that's neither something DUNDi can handle right now
nor is it what we're talking about, which is the free interexchange
of routes in the GPA-enforced e164 context of DUNDi.  In any case, I
don't think that even a cost-based routing system would have
different route destinations based on origin; I think the only thing
that would change would be the price or QoS or something else - the
same phone would ring regardless of where the origin was.  But that's
a chapter from a different book...

JT