[Dundi] representation

Joe Abley jabley at automagic.org
Tue Oct 26 10:12:27 CDT 2004

On 26 Oct 2004, at 10:52, Ed Guy wrote:

> Examples of non-unique numbers in the US include the 700 and 800 area
> codes:
> * 800 numbers are regional (by state/province and country) and
> * 700 numbers are carrier specific.
> They are e.164 numbers.
> (subject to correction by someone that actually has the spec in front
> of
> them.)

There are also region-specific examples of source-based call routing
(e.g. 310xxxx in Canada routes to a local instance of a service, for
some value of "local", at least in Bell Canada's network).

I have Vonage service in Canada with a local 519 area code, and a good
proportion of the 1-800 numbers I dial using that phone don't work for
me (either because they're routed through New York to a US-appropriate
termination staffed by agents who think Canada is a small town in
Idaho, or because they're not available in the US at all).

So, perhaps this is not a dundi problem at all, but a problem with
non-uniqueness in the E.164 number space. As such, isn't it just the
same problem that an individual organisation would work around by
choosing (say) not to route calls to 1-800 numbers according to
information obtained by dundi, but instead choosing to send them
elsewhere?

In other words, if an organisation has its own use for +17009 numbers,
could it not simply choose to ignore the +17009 route obtained through
dundi and do something different instead?

Joe