[Dundi] Multihomed machines and dundi

Joe Abley jabley at automagic.org
Mon Oct 25 20:18:10 CDT 2004

On 25 Oct 2004, at 16:29, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   More manageable, but until someone makes "multi6" finish its work,
> totally impractical in real life. If you are big enough to multihome
> properly, you are probably also big enough that you are already an
> IP-telco.

This may be so in some RIR regions, still, but it's not true in all.
Obtaining a /24 allocated from suitable swamp space for the purposes of
multi-homing is trivial, and lots of people do it. However:

>   The SIP to the desk revolution is occuring bottom-up.

that point is well-made, and this:

>   Four of the 6 Asterisk boxes that I am/will install in 2004 do live
> behind a NAT. Alas.
>   We give them public IPs for management purposes, however, via IPsec
> tunnel extrusion.

sounds like static, globally-unique addressing from the perspective of
the rest of the world.

Joe