[Dundi] Caching

Landon McDowell asterisk at ntelos.net
Sun Oct 24 00:26:21 CDT 2004

	I disagree that this becomes unmanageable in large networks. The
whole of Internet route peering works this way (BGP) and it is entirely
manageable.

	Regardless, I was not suggesting that you flip the direction of
route discovery (I realize now that I was overstating my case). I was
suggesting that route authorities need a way to tell the peer group,
"flush this cached route".

	The alternative is for carriers run extremely low cache times (if
you go with an originating entity model for TTLs) to avoid getting stuck,
and the peer group largely loses the benefit of caching.

	I fully recognize that this introduces a new host of problems. DOS
attack becomes a much greater problem, for example. But dampening is going
to have to be addressed sooner or later anyway.

	Lastly, please allow me to clarify. I was not suggesting that
DUNDi needs to become BGP for telephone numbers. TRIP clearly already does
that. I was suggesting that I would like to see it become a bit more like
a routing protocol.

			Regards,
			Landon McDowell