[Dundi] Caching

Landon McDowell asterisk at ntelos.net
Sat Oct 23 12:46:25 CDT 2004

	I dislike the idea of only having cache expiry. It is one of the
problems I have with ENUM.

	I would rather see a mechanism for Announcers to push changes into
the peer group. Changes delays then become a function of convergence time
rather than TTL.

	One of the most frustrating aspects of DNS (and ENUM as a result)
as a service provider is caching. But there is no permanent fixed
relationship between all of the DNS servers in the world, so we are stuck
with it.

	With DUNDi, there is a fixed relationship with peers, so cascading
changes should work.

	It is true that telephony routes are relatively static, but when
they change, you want them to change fast. In the event of an outage,
carriers aren't going to want to wait around for caches to expire. The
same is true for capacity management.

	With the implementation of cascading changes, DUNDi will start to
look more like BGP (which is where I think it needs to head anyway).

		Regards,
		Landon McDowell