[Dundi] advertising for peers

Joe Abley jabley at automagic.org
Fri Oct 22 14:15:07 CDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004, at 14:55, Mark Spencer wrote:

>> 1. It makes no sense to me to impose regional conventions on
>> telephone numbers on a system which is designed to connect regions,
>> not provide connectivity within them. So, every reference to
>> regionalisms such as area codes, LATA, NPA, NXX should be removed
>> from peoples' minds, and they should instead concentrate on
>> advertising collections of E.164 numbers ("routes", right? I'm a
>> packet guy, normally).
>
> Okay, lets clear up a few things:
>
> Everyone knows that the real question of DUNDi is how well it will
> scale. Suppose that the e164 trust group were strictly structured such
> that it was in fact heirarchical (e.g. there were 10 strongly
> connected nodes in the center with each digit 0-9, then 10 connected
> to each of them, 0-9 and so on, it would be essentially identical to
> ENUM.
>
> The goal is to try to keep systems whose numbers are *similar* in the
> same branch of the tree in order to maximize the value of the cached
> answers and hints and make the system as scalable as possible.

That makes things wildly clearer. Thank you.

So if there are a bunch of peers along a branch which are able to
terminate things which look more and more like +165042313 as we move
along, the ideal place for the operator of the 650-13xx 100-number
block to connect would be somewhere out along the end of it?

Joe