[Dundi] Why no paid services?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Oct 20 13:24:25 CDT 2004

I'm wondering why the DUNDi was specified that you cannot advertise paid
services?

I guess it would introduce a host of issues, including how to establish
billing relationships between providers, but it would be nice to be able
to request routes to providers, and get back a list of responses which
include paid and non-paid services:

I.e. I ask for a route to 12125551212, and get back

"quality"     "cost" "url"
nnn            .02USD   iax:12125551212 at asteriskfriendly.net
nnn            .50USD   sip:12125551212 at ripoff.telco.com
nnn            0             sip:12125551212 at nyc.fwd.org

The querier could then choose amongst the services that respond;

Additionally, to reduce the number of replies you get, a query could
have a "max-cost" parameter, and then responses could only be generated
where the call cost is less then the max-cost parameter.  (so, if you
made the request above, with a max-cost of .05USD, you wouldn't get the
ripoff telco response).

-SteveK