[Dundi] GPA e164 Peering requested

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Sun Nov 21 11:11:51 CST 2004

Mark Spencer wrote:

> None of these are hard and fast rules -- the protocol is designed to
> work with any mix -- but to the degree that you can keep similar numbers
> together (similar in this case meaning they share the first "n" digits)
> you can keep the number of queries down for irrelevant questions.

OK, that's what I figured. In that case, I'll continue working towards
being the "primary" peer for the Arizona area codes, because I'm happy
to accept the query volume for any other peers in Arizona and collapse
their routes down to our area codes.

> Another option, if you have only a few numbers, is to use the new
> "PRECACHE" stuff which essentially works by pushing your routes up to
> the next tier -- essentially an unsolicited answer, and then not having
> to receive queries.  This can be a good option for someone with few
> distinct routes (I still have to get patterns supported though!).

Yeah, I suspect we'll request our downstream peers to do exactly that,
so we don't have to send them queries for every one of their numbers
when they come into us. Would you mind commenting on my other precaching
related posted? I'll help fix the documentation, if I can get my brain
wrapped around how it's supposed to work :-)