[Dundi] [RFC] Reliability of contact information

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Fri Dec 10 09:38:17 CST 2004

Florian Overkamp wrote:

> - article 2e defines that all initial control signalling must be sent from a
> member of the Peering System (which would be either machine in the gpa
> context). Technically this makes it very well possible that the initial
> control signalling be sent from notsoevilbox. The example behind that
> statement however makes clear that that is not how the article was intended:
> '...commands must be sent from the requesting DUNDi node'.

That's exactly the example that I was using to make my point :-)

In this case, as far as the "world" is concerned, the requesting DUNDi
node is notsoevilbox, because it is the only one with the ability to
send queries to DUNDi peers outside the evilrealm's zone of control. As
long as evilbox and any other peers inside evilrealm are only peered
with notsoevilbox, and not with any peers outside, then they are not
able to send DUNDi requests _directly_, and thus would not qualify as
the "requesting DUNDi node". Just because evilrealm might be using DUNDi
internally between their nodes does not make evilbox the "requesting
DUNDi node", at least not as it appears to the peers outside of evilrealm.

Mark, is it worth the time to ask the legal team that drafted the GPA
for an interpretation on this issue? I think if it can legitimately be
interpreted the way I'm proposing, that's a good thing for the GPA and
the e164 context in general.