[Asterisk-video] How to convert recorded videos from Asterisk into standard video files

Zelalem Sintayehu zelalems at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 04:50:57 CDT 2011

Hi, I am trying to create a videomail system and followed the steps presented on the following link.

http://www.open-voip.org/index.php?title=Asterisk_Video_%26_VideoMail#Record_and_play_video_-_extensions.conf

It works perfectly except the synchronization is not good. I don't know if I can do anything to correct this problem. Anyway, my main question is the following.

I also want to give the user a feature that they can use VLC or other network based media players to access their videomail (by sending the address of the file in an email where they can connect to the media player). This will be good in an event where they can't access a SIP client. But the problem is, Asterisk saves the video files in its own format (as raw RTP format). So I want to ask if I can change this files into standard video files (like avi or mp4) and if possible how I can do that.

Thank you.

- Zelalem S.