[Asterisk-video] theora

Maris maris.rob at vdi.de
Fri Jan 28 11:25:29 CST 2011

Mihai,

thanks for responding. Here some notes:

> In my opinion, Theora is a decent codec for video storage and playback,
> but sub-par when it comes to realtime applications such as video
> conferencing.

I think that h.263 is primarily focused on videoconferencing, and I
encounter no obeyable realtime drawback when I'm testing with theora. Its
main advantage is smooth image movements rendering when bandwidth is
limited (contrary to h.263, tested with linphone client, peer2peer). I
mention h.263 because many clients support it, as well as theora is also
supported by many clients (linphone, ekiga, ...).

> As you can see, we had to go through some pains to get things running.

OK, but that does not hinder to implement a fairly simple(?) feedthrough
of popular codecs. It is regrettable that your patch didn't get the
finishing touch, where I believe that the core team had been able to help
with this - and was unmotivated due to limited bit field resources.

> Unfortunately, at the time, Theora was the only license free video codec
> available, so we had to go with it. Nowadays, you also have WebM - it

... and P8K, for example. Well, in both cases, limited client support -
today.

-Rob