[Asterisk-video] video developement

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Jun 3 13:02:31 CDT 2009

27 maj 2009 kl. 13.13 skrev Emmanuel BUU:

> Hello,
>
> There is one particular topic (which is HUGE) but very interesting:
> asterisk codec negociations (video, audio, text, ...). It is absolutly
> awul in the official version.
>
> We have been working on a variant of the videocaps branch that mas
> originaly brought by John Martin from Aupix and mainained by Olle. At
> some point of time, there was plans merge it into the official 1.6
> version but it never happened and I have no news of such a move. We
> are
> still correcting nego issues and it seems that the videocaps
> approach is
> reaching its limits. For two reasons:
>
>    * The videocaps structure is redundant with nativeformats and all
>      the formats used in the various chans and modules
>    * The videocaps does not properly handle codec preference order.
>
> On the other hand, I have recently discovered that the Sippy software
> company had also made a codec nego patch
> http://www.b2bua.org/wiki/AsteriskCodecNegotiationPatch that is much
> cleaner and more integreated in asterisk core.
>
> My project would be to launch on top of the 1.6 videocaps branch a
> merge
> between Sippy patch, some IVèS stuff (URL sending support, RTP
> redundency negociations, ...)  and videocaps (because its handling
> fmtp
> attributes) and finally have a PROPER negication algorithm more in
> line
> with RFC 3264, including proper transcoding behavior and early media
> support. Ideally, Olle should be implicated.
>
> Ok, that's HUGE. But why not try the collaborative effort to improve
> our
> beloved Asterisk software?

That sounds like a good plan. I also need a version for 1.4.

The Digium team is working on a more long term solution for trunk,
based on input but not code from videocaps and several other patches,
including Maxim's codec negotiation patch.

Regardsless, it would be interesting to get help to continue the work
on videocaps. Right now it's broken and needs help to get back into
automerge mode, which would be a first step.

I have been maintaining videocaps for a long time on my personal time,
since I know it solves a lot of issues and it's really a good platform
to start from that John donated to the project.

/O