[Asterisk-video] how to configure app_conference

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Thu May 15 06:45:38 CDT 2008

Hi Borja,

Having full VAD in appconference is actually a feature I am interested
in -- I just didn't have the time to do it.
It should actually be quite simple to implement - if you want to go
ahead and attempt to do it, I would be more than happy to merge in
your patch.

Here are a few pointers that might help you understand what needs to
be done:
- the place you want to look at is member.[ch]
- if you look at create_member(), you will notice that members marked
as 't' (telephone) have a speex preprocessor instance associated with
them.  As the code stands right now, members coming in via a zaptel
connection cannot do DTX (obviously), so appconference does VAD, AGC
and noise reduction by itself.
- however, if a member is marked as 't', it will not be considered as
a candidate for video switching (again, for obvious reasons - no video
on zaptel connections).

So what would probably need to be done is define another dialplan
flag, that would make appconference initialize a DSP engine for that
member. It would be similar to 't', but due to backwards compatibility
issues, we cannot really use 't' for this purpose.  Once that is done,
appconference _should_ be aware of voice activity from members that do
not do DTX and _should_ be able to include this information in the VAD-
based video switching logic.  It will obviously need to be tested and
there is a good chance that some other parts of the code will need to
be tweaked.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I have also
copied the appconference dev list on this, and I suggest that we move
this discussion there, since it is appconference-specific and doesn't
really relate to asterisk video in general.

Mihai