[Asterisk-video] AMR: WARNING[4493]: translate.c:175 framein: no samples for amrtolin

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 20 11:03:37 CDT 2008

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for your feedback. Comments inline.

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:30 +0200, Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Patrick schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just built asterisk 1.4.21 with AMR from fontventa (svn version 213).
> > When I call from my Nokia N95 via GPRS to my Asterisk box or vice versa
> > using the AMR codec I see a ton of the following messages in the
> > Asterisk console:
> >
> > [Jun 19 19:38:16] WARNING[4493]: translate.c:175 framein: no samples for amrtolin
>
> strange. It would be interesting what's the cause of the message. Is
> there a AST_FRAME_AUDIO without payload?

No idea what that means :) I am afraid my C skills are rather limited.

> > Is this message an indication of a bug in codec_amr?
>
> Depends on where the log message is located. If the log message happens
> before the AMR frame is sent to the AMR codec (for decoding into linear)
> then it maybe a bug in the h324m gateway, in libh324m or in the phone.

I don't have a h324m gateway or libh324m installed.

> Do you have the same results with another phone?

No unfortunately not.

> > There's also a lot of delay (more than 2 seconds) when saying something
> > on the N95 and hearing it on the Cisco phone attached to the Asterisk
> > box. Strangely saying something on the Cisco phone can be heard almost
> > instantaneously on the N95. On the other hand when I talk longer on the
>
> Strange. Usually the SIP->3G direction is more problematic.
>
> Do you also have video? Is video delayed too?

No I don't have video.

> > N95, the delay before hearing it on the Cisco gets longer too up to 4 or
> > 5 seconds. Seems like something gets buffered way too much before it is
> > sent on.
> >
> > I also tested AMR with a Wifi connection on the N95 and that works much
> > better although I still see a ton of those messages above in the
> > Asterisk console. Using ILBC as the codec has no problems with a GPRS or
> > Wifi connection on the N95 so it really seems this issue is AMR related
> > (codec or N95).
>
> Is this a pure SIP->SIP call? Then the bug is obviously in the AMR codec
>   or in the phone.

I tried these scenarios:

N95 <- SIP -> Asterisk box <- SCCP -> Cisco 7961
N95 <- SIP -> Asterisk box <- SIP -> Cisco 7961

> > Would anyone have a suggestion how to fix this?
>
> 1. try another phone and see if you have the same results

I'll see if I can find someone with a GSM that has GPRS support and a
SIP client.

> 2. try to increase the log level (logger.conf)

Will try that and report back with the results.

> 3. review the source code to see when this message is printed

The error can be found on line 175 in main/translate.c

Regards,
Patrick