[Asterisk-video] Playing Videos in Asterisk

Sharan Saxena ssaxena at devfoundry.com
Mon Jun 9 07:43:36 CDT 2008

Dear List Members,
                   I have been trying to play videos in Asterisk, while
doing a SIP call from the softphone Bria. I have got several pointers, but
haven't been successful yet. I gather that Asterisk plays audio and video
separately, thus to make a function like Playback(test) work in your
dialplan, you require two files - an audio file say test.gsm and a video
file test.h263.

I didn't have properly generated/synchronized files, and the .h263 files
which I generated using FFmpeg are not playing in Asterisk. I debugged the
code, and it appears to me that the channel's native format of my file is
not correct (function ast_openvstream).

I would request list members to kindly direct me to any working examples
(audio/video files which play on asterisk), documentation or sample steps to
be able to play the video in Asterisk. I am under the impression that it
will play possibly on the video screen of the softphone, which currently is
streaming live video.

Please excuse my ignorance, I am fairly new to this area.

Thanks for your help,
Regards
Sharan