[Asterisk-video] [asterisk-video] IAX2 / SIP video call

Mihai Balea mihai at hates.ms
Mon Aug 11 15:02:04 CDT 2008

I have been out of the loop for some time, but as of a few month ago,
this would not have been possible.

As you know, you need a patched Asterisk to successfully negotiate
video with the IAX2 protocol., due to the inherent limitations of the
protocol.  In addition to that, your SIP endpoint needs to support the
same type of Theora fragmentation as iaxclient does.  I would assume
that your SIP endpoint uses the proposed Theora over RTP draft, which
would make it incompatible with iaxclient.

About a year ago I proposed some enhancements to the IAX protocol to
better support video fragmentation and better codec negotiation.  The
level of interest in the Asterisk community was on the low side and I
assume it will stay low, until somebody actually goes ahead and comes
up with working code to implement these features

Mihai