[Asterisk-video] Newcomer question about Asterisk and videocaps

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon May 28 06:14:17 MST 2007

28 maj 2007 kl. 14.06 skrev Emmanuel BUU:

> Olle E Johansson wrote:
>>
>> 27 maj 2007 kl. 22.52 skrev Emmanuel BUU:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> A while ago, there were some ongoing work (and a dedicated branch
>>> I believe) to support video capabilities and their associated
>>> negociation in Asterisk.
>>> Does anyone has a status on this? Is it dead ? What are the plan
>>> for 1.4 branch and 1.6 ?
>> Hello!
>>
>> 1.4 is released an will not change in regards to features.
> How compatible are the videocaps modification with Asterisk 1.4.4 ?
> Would it be easy to merge them ? Is there a short description of
> the change done on the framework.
Videocaps is based on svn trunk.

>> During the development meeting in Atlanta we spent a lot of time
>> discussing a new solution for call setup netotiation - it involved
>> transport (IPv4/IPv6/tcp/udp/tls) as well as codec and media
>> handling. The videocaps branch is a good proposal to handle the
>> media part, but there is a lot of more to it. It will also require
>> changes to the IAX2 protocol.
> Will this change enables the peer to peer media transport while
> retaining central call supervision ?

We will still be a PBX. We do handle peer2peer setup, but will always
require setting up the call in a way so that
Asterisk can take part in the call. That means that we will not
accept unknown media streams in the call setup.
If you need that for SIP, you need a SIP proxy.

/O