[Asterisk-video] Fix on video codec negociation

Emmanuel BUU emmanuel.buu at ives.fr
Sun May 27 13:47:40 MST 2007

Since Asterisk 1.4, I experienced two incorrect behavior in regards with
SIP & video support on Asterisk:

    * Calls fail between SIP phone sharing one video codec and distinct
      audio codec.
    * 200 OK returns several audio and video codecs

Am I the only one ?

I spent the weeking reading the code and testing and submitted a patch
to Digium that correct this. Here it is:
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=9815 Feedback is welcome.

I have the feeling that the way codec is handled by Ast is wrong in the
specifications. Here are my analysis

    * If Asterisk is used to
    * If Asterisk is used as a Media Server, then the codec settings
      should not be dependent on the channel either but be a global
      setting or associated to a dialplan extention (e.g. such service
      sports only H.263 video prompts)

I believe that what is true with SIP is true with any signalling
protocol capable of negociating codecs namely: IAX, H.323, Skinny ? and
in some cases ISDN with H.324m.

Emmanuel
http://www.ives.fr/