[Asterisk-video] Simple vidéo conference

Lorenzo Miniero lorenzo.miniero at unina.it
Sun Jun 10 02:35:33 MST 2007

Hi Dave,

to have a better view of what I mean with floor control, you can have a look
at the BFCP RFC (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4582.txt), which is exactly the
protocol we implemented.

To sum it up, a floor is a logical element: when you associate this token to a
resource (e.g. audio) or a set of resources (e.g. audio and video together),
the floor becomes the permission to access this resource. To get this
permission you need to request the floor, which is done by means of a floor
control protocol, in this case the BFCP. This way you can moderate the access
to the resources: all the requests are handled as queues, and there can be
chairs (moderators) which decide if a request has to be accepted or denied.

So, when you associate a floor to video, you basically let a video stream by a
participant be part of a conference only if this participant has been granted
the video floor. As the paper states, it can be used to limit bandwidth if
each participant in a conference with N users receives N-1 video streams, to
limit to M<N the maximum allowed active video streams for example.

However, this is not the case of the videomixer we are talking about in this
thread, since both with basic videoswitching and with video mixing involved,
you would always only get one video stream back. And in both cases you can
have floor control: you could want to have a floor-moderated video, where
only one person at a time can be granted video (floor-moderated
videoswitching, which is what we already have in our prototype), or you could
want to have a floor-moderated video, where N persons at max at a time can be
granted video (floor-moderated video mixing, where sources are enabled and
admitted in the mix only if they have the floor).

I hope I clarified it all, regards,
Lorenzo