[Asterisk-video] different video formats in Asterisk

Sergio Garcia sergio.garcia at fontventa.com
Fri Jul 20 02:09:30 CDT 2007

A mp4 file can contain ANY streaming content, i.e audio/video in any codec.
The only thing that it's needed is a valid hint track where it's specified
rtp data needed for streaming.

So, any streaming server (DSS for example) or app_mp4 can read an mp4 file
and create the rtp packets with the correct timing information without
knowing the format/codec of the media data. The only thing that's needed is
something to create the mp4. For example rtpdump can create a mp4 from any
ethereal capture with rtp traffic.

Both app_mp4 and app_rtsp just need to what codec is to map the identifier to
the asterisk AST_FORMAT_XXX, and nothing more.
Also, app_mp4 could save any custom incomming data (in theory) and save it as
a speciall hint track to be streamed later, but this way the media track won't
be playable in a standar player, only streamed.

Once app_mp4 or app_rtsp receive an rtp packet they just convert it to an
ast_frame, so asterisk can do whatever they need with it (transcode for example).

Best regards

Date:  Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:11:30 +0200