[Asterisk-video] different video formats in Asterisk

Thu Jul 19 18:11:30 CDT 2007

Hi!

AFAIK (please correct me when I am wrong) there are 3 different ways to
get video into Asterisk:

1. native Asterisk video support. Some applications like voicemail,
Playback and Background support recording/sending of video. The video
must be h263 or h264 in a proprietary Asterisk format. This could be
generated with ffasterisk or gstreamer (both methods are quite
complicated). Audio can be provided as .gsm or .wav. The video will not
be transcoded, thus the client has to support h263 or h264

2. app_mp4: The video must be in a .mp4 or .3gp container with hinted
audio+video tracks. Which Audio codecs are supported? Which Video Codecs
are support? Will app_mp4 make use of Asterisk's audio transcoding
capabilties? Video transcoding can be done explicitly with app_transcode.

3. app_rtsp: Asterisk will receive the video from a streaming server
(usually DSS). Which formats are supported? Can DSS process any video
formats or do we need to transform the video into .mp4 before giving it
to DSS?

IMHO a big problem is that there is no single common way to generate
video files for Asterisk and all the methods to generate video are very
complicated (except you can afford to by helix mobile producer).

comments, corrections and answers are very welcome
thanks, klaus