[Asterisk-video] libavcodec integration? (was Integrating mpeg4 video codec in asterisk)

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sun Jun 18 05:52:18 MST 2006

>> is there a licence problem with integrating libavcodec (http://
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libavcodec) into asterisk? This is licensed
>> under LGPL so AFAICS it should be compatible with the asterisk
>> system. this'll allow us to transcode video between lots of
>> formats and codecs :)
>
> The issues are:
>
> 1) not all of it is LGPL;  some of it is GPL, including many of the
> most interesting parts (x264, for example).

To use the code under GPL, you need to specifically set the configure
flag --enable-gpl. Without this, libavcodec is plain LGPL.

> 2) Patents:  You can't actually use most of it because of patent
> issues, and because of the GPL/LGPL patent clauses, you can't
> distribute the code along with a Patent License unless you License
> all potential users of the code.

Are you quite sure the GPLed codecs in libavcodec are patent-
protected? If so, are these patents US-bullshit, or legal
international patents?

regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
(+47) 98013356
---
"Ubuntu: Ancient African word for ''I'm sick of compiling Gentoo''"
-- Jeff Waugh