[Asterisk-video] Integrating mpeg4 video codec in asterisk

John Martin John.Martin at AuPix.com
Wed Jun 14 08:12:33 MST 2006

Zeeshan,

  Since Asterisk has no video codecs the only codecs that are invoked
are audio ones. They are called when asterisk decides that transcoding
between two audio formats is required, this happens (I think) when two
legs of a call are bridged. There is no such transcoding logic in
Asterisk at the moment for video and Asterisk has no notion of what
formats the video is that it it transferring around other than a very
basic codec type - there's no notion of profiles, levels, framerate,
bitrate, resolution etc. Until Asterisk can understand video more fully,
there's little hope for it being able to do anything with the video.

  I'm not sure what links there are about this, what I've learnt I've
learnt from the source :-( I've not found much on the web about the
internals of Asterisk.

John

John Martin