[Asterisk-video] H320

John Martin John.Martin at AuPix.com
Fri Jun 9 01:24:25 MST 2006

>>> So it could be great to have it integrated into asterisk, so we
>>> could offer
>>> a full IP(SIP,H323)-ISDN(H320)-UMTS(H324M) gateway. And make
>>> everything
>>> work with meetme conferences :)
>>
>> I'd kill for that!!
>>
>To be a bit more civilized ;-)
>- Does anyone want to contribute funding for development
>of this?

We would be more interested in doing the work than funding it. We could
provide some elements of what is already needed and might look for a
royalty per system, like G.729 is done, because of that. If there were
enough funding then we could forgo the royalty.

>- Does anyone have development resources that can create this solution?

If there were enough funding, we could do this.

>To be a bit more technical:
>- How much do we need to change libpri?

Clear data channels would need to be presented to the chan_h320. This
may already be available. Don't forget chan_misdn as another means of
getting at ISDN.

>- How much do we need to change zaptel?

Clear data channels would need to be presented to the chan_h320. This
may already be available.

>- How much do we need to change the PBX core?

There shouldn't be too much needed here. All the resynchronisation of
the multiple B channels is handled in the bonding code.

>- How do we transcode to SIP phones?

The same way that H.323 does... we sync/source G.7xx frames and H.26x
frames. Any H.320 code would have to concern itself with padding of the
B-channels up to the total bandwidth needed, and to strip padding from
the H.320 media streams to provide a variable bitrate stream for SIP and
H.323. It gets a bit messy when the SIP or H.323 burst over their
allowed bandwidth (as some do), but on the whole that should be
manageable.

>And legal:
>- Are there any patents standing in the way?

Not to my knowledge. There's still the usual H.263 issue but as long as
we're not actually encoding then that wouldn't apply.

asterisk-video mailing list
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: