[asterisk-users] Asterisk 18.14.0 vs 18.18.0 and chan_console/chan_alsa

olivas at eurisko.ws olivas at eurisko.ws
Sun Sep 10 19:41:24 CDT 2023

I don't know if this will help you, but looking back through an old config I have for an older version of Asterisk, I had used chan_console with the old and now defunct app_rpt app to listen to audio on various nodes via the console for testing.

Here is what I did:

In console.conf, I defined this:
[default]
input_device = default
output_device = default
autoanswer = no
context = <the context you want to use>
extension = <a valid extension>
callerid = <caller id>
language = en
overridecontext = no
mohintrepret = default
active = yes

In modules.conf I loaded the audio module (in this case it was chan_alsa.so, but I also could use chan_oss.so).  I made sure noload was commented out for chan_alsa.so

In alsa.conf, I defined some of the same things as in console.conf:
[general]
autoanswer=no
context=<same as context in chan.conf>
extension=<same as extension in chan.conf>
inputdevice=plughw:0,1
otuputdevice=plughw:0,0
mute=true

You'll need to check your ALSA device to see what the input and output devices are.

That last line is important, since on the console you may not have a mic that works to talk, you just want to listen,

In extensions.conf, I defined a dialplan that instead of trying to dial out, it just answered the call and then threw me into the app.

Then to dial from the console, I woudl use:
console dial <extension from console.conf>

And it woudl use the context I defined and launch the Rpt app.

What you could do is define somehting like this ,but have the extension use DISA so that you can then get dumped into your normal dialplan logic where you could use "console dial xxx".

No guarantees that this will work with a newer version of Asterisk, but this did work with a 1.8 setup I used to have (that I have the configs saved for).

-Stacy