[asterisk-users] Question on ring count on incoming circuits

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Sun May 28 13:20:39 CDT 2023

Who controls how many times an incoming call from an external (DID)
provider will ring before Asterisk picks up the call and handles it
internally--the provider or Asterisk? If it's the DID provider, I'll
work on that with them; if it's Asterisk, I didn't find anything
anywhere that looks like it has anything to do with incoming ring count
unless you set up a ring-no-answer system. For my purposes, that would
mean defining a dummy extension that has no hardware attached to it that
would fail over to my current call handling code after it rings once. Is
this the proper method for handling this?

You might wonder why I wouldn't want a call to a system that simply
plays a message and then takes an optional voicemail message to pick up
immediately. Short answer: Don't ask (groan). It's what the project
supporter wants, presumably so that the person calling into the system
will know their call went through and to be ready to hear the outgoing
message, I don't know, it's a customer request so I feel duty-bound to
figure it out and implement it.