[asterisk-users] A stupid problem with Playback

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Sun May 28 10:51:32 CDT 2023

On 5/28/2023 6:19 AM, asterisk at phreaknet.org wrote:

>>> A great reason to avoid Asterisk packages and compile from source
>>> instead. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.
>>
>> That's how I started, by trying to build version 18 from source. It
>> failed. Colossally. The compile of sources would run for a while,
>> then the machine would crash spectacularly--I mean, not just hang or
>> reboot. It actually turned itself off. I tried it several times, and
>> each time it failed in the same way, but at a different spot in the
>> compile process. If ever I could figure out a way to trace that one
>> down, I would. It was the strangest thing.
>
> This sounds like your machine is defective in some major way. Granted,
> compiling software is pretty intensive, but your machine shouldn't
> just crash. I would try to figure that out. Is this a VM / bare metal?
> Have you tried this on another machine?

It's probably eight or nine years old now, an ASRock motherboard with I
don't even know what on it in the way of processor speed or power. I
should probably pick up another machine but I can't justify the expense
because it's only for play, FTP, and running this Asterisk project,
which is complete enough now that I don't have to mess with it any more.
Who knows--it might even wind up on a spare Raspberry Pi 4, in which
case this whole tower can just go away.