[asterisk-users] A stupid problem with Playback

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Sat May 27 14:37:51 CDT 2023

On 5/27/2023 11:40 AM, asterisk at phreaknet.org wrote:

> Relative paths are relative to your language-specific directory.

Ya know, that's the one thing I didn't do was test Playback before
copying the sound files out of /usr/share/asterisk/sounds/en_us into
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds--I don't even know for sure that hello-world
was playing from the /var path and not the /usr path. Good idea to test
that and see what's really going on. I think I set too much store by
these books sometimes. But when that's all I have, I tend to go with
what I know, and if the book is all I know ... well ...

> A great reason to avoid Asterisk packages and compile from source
> instead. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

That's how I started, by trying to build version 18 from source. It
failed. Colossally. The compile of sources would run for a while, then
the machine would crash spectacularly--I mean, not just hang or reboot.
It actually turned itself off. I tried it several times, and each time
it failed in the same way, but at a different spot in the compile
process. If ever I could figure out a way to trace that one down, I
would. It was the strangest thing. So I gave up trying to build from
source and went to the distro. Truth to tell, I'd rather have been able
to build it from source because then I could follow my book more
closely, and I enjoy and am familiar with working with SQL. I understood
perfectly what the book was telling me to do and how it would all
integrate with configuring Asterisk. Very strange indeed. Maybe I'll try
a later version and see what happens.