[asterisk-users] Problems with inbound connection and registering phone

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Tue May 23 13:24:02 CDT 2023

I have two problems. The first is that when I dial my number from a
phone on the Internet or any phone outside my LAN, Asterisk does not
respond in any way, which means somehow my system is not picking up the
fact that there's an incoming call to it.

The second problem is that I thought I'd try an internal phone to see if
I could get the hello-world stuff working at the least. I thought I'd
try Zoiper, but none of the download buttons at
https://www.zoiper.com/en/voip-softphone/download/current did anything
when clicked, so I set up a spare line on a Yealink TA33 phone that is
connected to another much much older Asterisk implementation running a
piece of amateur radio gear called Allstar. The version of Asterisk used
in the Allstar project is ancient--like 1.4 or 1.6--and the
configuration syntax and options are quite different, so I didn't get
lulled into thinking I'd just clone that configuration on my newer
Asterisk implementation.

The "Definitive Guide" shows everything about adding phones as SQL
statements, so I made some educated guesses as to what to put into
pjsip.conf. Something's obviously wrong because the phone won't
authenticate (see below).

Here's how I set it up in pjsip.

[yealink]
transport=udp
type=auth
auth_type=userpass
username=Steve
password=Steve

[yealink]
type = endpoint
transport = transport-udp
context = phones
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
; allow=g729                 ; uncomment if you support g729
auth = yealink
aors = yealink

Here's how I set it up in extensions:

[phones]
exten => 101,1,Dial(PJSIP/yealink)

Here's the error I get on the Asterisk console:

[May 23 13:42:56] NOTICE[45189]: res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c:676
log_failed_request: Request 'REGISTER' from '"Steve"
<sip:Steve at 192.168.1.185>' failed for '192.168.1.228:5060' (callid:
0_1554187534 at 192.168.1.228) - Failed to authenticate

What did I omit?