[asterisk-users] PJSIP not performing outbound authentication

Henning Follmann hfollmann at itcfollmann.com
Wed Jun 21 12:31:00 CDT 2023

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 05:19:11PM +0000, TTT wrote:
> I am using Asterisk 20.3.0 with PJSIP.  I have setup a trunk to my ISP
> (Twilio) who requires outbound authentication.  My pjsip.auth.conf contains:
>
> [Twilio]
> type=auth
> auth_type=userpass
> password=mysecret
> username=myun
>
> However, my calls using the trunk are rejected with a 403. Using pjsip
> logging I notice that the outgoing invite does not have an authentication
> line. Why is Asterisk not sending credentials to the ISP? SIP transactions
> are:
>  > INVITE
>  < 100 TRYING
>  < 403 FORBIDDEN
>
> Or is this normal?  Must Twilio respond with a 407 which will cause Asterisk
> to authenticate?

Twilio has a nice technical document to setup a trunk with PJSIP.
It includes an example for a pjsip_wizard.conf
https://assets.cdn.prod.twilio.com/documents/TwilioElasticSIPTrunking-AsteriskPBX-Configuration-Guide-Version2-1-FINAL-09012018.pdf

Maybe that helps.

And make sure for your outgoing calls to set the callerid to a valid caller
Id which ist authorized with your twilio account. It will not allow
outgoing calls if the number is not recognized by twilio

-H

Henning Follmann           | hfollmann at itcfollmann.com