[asterisk-users] Expanding my answering-machine system

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Sat Jun 17 07:47:11 CDT 2023

Doug,

This is where the weeds start growing.

On 6/17/2023 4:55 AM, Doug Lytle wrote:

> For both capabilities, you can use Background() instead of Playback()
> for audio prompts.  Background() allows for interrupting the prompts
> and continue on with your dialplan.
>
> Understood. From the book:

The most common use of the Background() application is to create basic
voice menus (often called auto attendants, IVRs ,  9 or phone trees ).

But now, the confusion:

Background() has the same syntax as Playback()  :

                   [TestMenu]
exten => start,1,Answer()
                   same => n,Background(enter-ext-of-person)

Stop right there. The syntax of Playback() is Playback(filename),
there's no extension number.

More book:

Both Background() and WaitExten()  allow the caller to enter DTMF
digits. Asterisk then attempts to find an extension in the current
context that matches the digits that the caller entered. If Asterisk
finds a match, it will send the call to that extension.

My question then is, is "*" a valid exension, as in:

exten => *,VoicemailMain()