[asterisk-users] Voicemail Transcription with openai/whisper

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Sun Nov 27 08:08:41 CST 2022

Everybody,

I've recently discovered openai/whisper and have been trying in earnest
to get this working with Asterisk for voicemail transcriptions
(Currently using the NerdVittles script with IBM Watson)

https://github.com/openai/whisper

After spending several hours today, I've successfully integrated my home
Asterisk 16 voicemail with Whisper.

Once I have followed the instructions for setting up an API server

https://blog.deepgram.com/how-to-build-an-openai-whisper-api/

Initially, I setup a quad core VM to test this with, but discovered that
without a dedicated card for the inference that it was horribly slow.
So, I've set up testing on my desktop (Kubuntu 20) since I have an
nVidia GTX 1060 installed.

For the integration with Asterisk, I'm using a slightly modified script
from nerdvittles IBM Watson script

sendmailibm

That can be found on their website

https://nerdvittles.com/free-asterisk-voicemail-transcription-with-ibms-stt-engine/

I will probably find a low cost nVidia video card and get a stand alone
Linux box running to handle this project.

If you're interested in the details, let me know.

Doug