[asterisk-users] Answer()ing a local Originate takes 500ms!?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Fri Nov 11 10:08:42 CST 2022

Hi.

Asterisk 16.2.1

I have a dialplan where one context (named "inbound") performs:

Originate(Local/${Target}@inOrig,exten,inbound,${EXTEN},208)

The idea is that this command will spawn a "call" to the context "inOrig" on
the same machine, and then return to the "inbound" context at priority 208.

Priority 208 is simply a NoOp(Returned from inOrig)

The "inOrig" context does:

NoOp(Answering inbound call)
Answer()
NoOp(Returned to inbound context)
Originate(Local/${EXTEN}@dialout,exten,BridgIt,${EXTEN},1)

It's all doing what I want / expect, but I am seeing, completely consistently,
a 500ms delay in the Answer() application.

So, I get the following sequence of timings:

08:41:49.514918 inbound:201 Originate(.....)
08:41:49.516459 inOrig:1 NoOp(Answering inbound call)
08:41:49.517016 inOrig:2 Answer()
08:41:49.517489 inbound:208 NoOp(Returned from inOrig)
08:41:50.017454 inOrig:3 NoOp(Returned to inbound context)

I have analysed dozens of calls and there is always a ~500ms delay between
when the Answer() has clearly completed (because control returns to priority
208 of the "inbound" context), and when the inOrig context continues with the
following NoOp.

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Application_Answer tells me that
the Answer() application takes an optional parameter which causes Asterisk to
wait that number of milliseconds before returning to the dialplan after
answering the call.

Does this undocumentedly default to 500?

Are the results I'm seeing expected, is there something wrong with my
dialplans, is there some way to eliminate this delay?

Thanks for any insight.

Antony.

--
3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.