[asterisk-users] PJSIP Codec Negotiation Issue

Benoît Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Fri May 20 09:30:55 CDT 2022

Hi Joshua

> What is the specific issue that is happening? If it's that one call
> leg negotiated at opus and the other at alaw, that is currently the
> way things still work. Each call leg is still ultimately negotiated
> independently so the A leg can be opus, and the B leg can be alaw. I
> hope that we're able to eventually return to codec negotiation work
> to improve that with the foundation put into place previously, but I
> don't know when that will happen.

It looks like I had some other misconfiguration also causing some weird
effects.

Well wheat I wonder is how codec negotiation should work in this
situation.

I am aware, the SDP defines what the device can send, not what it is
able to receive. But can't we assume this is the same?

Device A <=> Asterisk <=> TSP Trunk <=> [WORLD] <=> Device B

Let's assume Device B is alaw only, but we don't know, it could also be
possible of better quality codecs.

Device A support opus,g711,alaw

So towards Device A I would define !all,opus,g722,alaw
And towards the TSP Trunk the same.

But when Device B replies with an SDP containing 'only' alaw, shouldn't
this SDP be passed to Device A which then hopefully use the same codec?

Of course Device A can receive alaw and send opus. But device B might
not understand opus.

And I just realized, this advanced codec negotiation is only available
on Asterisk 18. I'm still on 16 :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon- @ HomeOffice und normal erreichbar
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden