[asterisk-users] DUNDi peers disconnect after being connected for months or years, cannot reconnect again

Court Campbell CCampbell at flexngate.com
Wed Jul 27 10:34:28 CDT 2022

I realize that the heyday of DUNDi was about 2008, and that there's less and less information online about it and lots of people don't use it anymore and use static IAX trunks instead. But we have 53 asterisk phone systems connecting our locations, and so creating static IAX trunks (even with a regional hub and spoke model) is a significant undertaking.

We've had issues with DUNDi peers disconnecting in the past and with Elastix used to have to do an amportal restart on the PBX to have it reconnect again. But the new issue that we're seeing is that the peer refuses to reconnect again, even after changing the long secret key in dundi_general, the MAC address of the VM the PBX is running on, the IP of the PBX and recreating the public/private keypair. The PBX that disconnected will not reconnect to any DUNDi peers at all, even to a completely new VM that we stand up at the same site on the same virtual switch on the same host. We are only trying to do inter-site extension dialing, not routing external calling between sites using DUNDi.

I'm also okay with giving up on DUNDi if anybody else has a less labour intensive way of routing extension dialing between that many PBXes than a web of static IAX trunks.

Here are the config files. I removed all the ; commented lines in dundi.conf to save space.

Iax_custom.conf

[dundi]
type=user
dbsecret=dundi/secret
context=ext-local
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=g726

dundi.conf

[general]
#include dundi_general_custom.conf
ttl=32
autokill=yes

[mappings]
#include dundi_mappings_custom.conf
#include dundi_peers_custom.conf

dundi_mappings.conf

priv => dundi-priv-canonical,0,IAX2,dundi:${SECRET}@PBX_IP/${NUMBER},nopartial
priv => dundi-priv-customers,100,IAX2,dundi:${SECRET}@PBX_IP/${NUMBER},nopartial
priv => dundi-priv-via-pstn,400,IAX2,dundi:${SECRET}@PBX_IP/${NUMBER},nopartial

dundi_general.conf

organization=
locality=
stateprov=
country=
email=
phone=
department=
secret=secret key
entityid=MAC address

dundi_peers.conf

[server A MAC]
model=symmetric
host=
inkey=
outkey=
his_status=connected
include=priv
permit=priv
qualify=yes
order=primary

[server B MAC]
model=symmetric
host=
inkey=
outkey=
his_status=connected
include=priv
permit=priv
qualify=yes
order=primary

extensions_custom.conf

[from-internal]
include => from-internal-noxfer
include => from-internal-xfer
include => dundi-priv-lookup
include => bad-number ; auto-generated
exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall)

; ********************************************
; CONFIGURACION PARA DUNDi
[dundi-priv-canonical]
; Here we include the context that contains the extensions.
exten => _9999X,1,Macro(stdexten,${EXTEN})
;include => ext-local
; Here we include the context that contains the queues.
; include => ext-queues

[dundi-priv-customers]
; If you have customers (or resell services) we can list them here

[dundi-priv-via-pstn]
; Here we include the context with our trunk to the PSTN,
; if we want the other teams can use our trunks
;include => outbound-allroutes

[dundi-priv-local]
; In this context we unify the three contexts, we can use this as
; context of the trunks of dundi iax
include => dundi-priv-canonical
include => dundi-priv-customers
include => dundi-priv-via-pstn

[dundi-priv-lookup]
; This context is responsible for making the search for a number of dundi
; Before you do the search properly define our caller id.
; because if not we have a caller id as 'device<0000>'.
exten => _X.,1,Macro(user-callerid)
exten => _X.,n,Macro(dundi-priv,${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,n,GotoIf($['${DIALSTATUS}' = 'BUSY']?100)
exten => _X.,n,Goto(bad-number,${EXTEN},1)
exten => _X.,100,Playtones(congestion)
exten => _X.,101,Congestion(10)

[macro-dundi-priv]
; This is the macro is called from the context [dundi-priv-lookup]
; It also avoids having loops in the consultations dundi.
exten => s,1,Goto(${ARG1},1)
switch => DUNDi/priv

Thank you,

Court Campbell