[asterisk-users] problems with natted phones

Duncan Turnbull duncan at turnbull.co.nz
Sat Sep 4 05:36:42 CDT 2021

> On 4/09/2021, at 8:55 PM, Marek Greško <mgresko8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok,
>
> let substitute lan for 192.168.100.235, provider with 192.0.2.1 and
> asterisk with 198.51.100.1.

Can you provide the previous packet details with these addresses filled in

> In the working scenario understand that asterisk is not aware of the
> providers ip address
If the call goes provider - asterisk - phone then asterisk is absolutely aware of the provider ip. I think you need to get more familiar with sip and rtp

> 192.0.2.1 in the sip protocol, and it should pick
> it from the network layer. It is harder to calcutale port, so it
> should probably listen for incoming rtp stream?

The sdp in the sip packet tells the rtp ip and port to connect to
> Until then it is just
> sending to private address? But I thing it is futile, since it is
> known from the sip protocol there is nat involved and thus the packets
> are destined to nowhere.

You need to realise that this works normally everyday all over the place so what you are imagining is incorrect

> But I still cannot imagine what goes wrong in non working scenario and
> how the asterisk reboot (not every one and not sure this is the real
> trigger). The sip communication seems identical to me. The provider's
> router does not touch SIP now as observed after disabling SIP ALG.

It is very unclear as to how you are justifying these statements. You don’t yet understand how sip and call setup with media works. If you provide the whole sip packet capture with the substituted ips it should be easier to point out where the error is

You need to be really clear on what’s ip
is what and where the conversations are captured

It will become clear once you provide all the details