[asterisk-users] no audio both ways with ipv6

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Thu Oct 14 14:21:22 CDT 2021

On Thursday 14 October 2021 at 19:22:00, hw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when asterisk registers with the VOIP provider via ipv6 and when
> local phones don't work with ipv6 but only with ipv4, am I to
> expect issues?

Do a SIP packet capture and see what the SDP in the INVITE is telling each end
to expect from the other.

> I'm receiving incoming calls via the provider, asterisk correctly
> dials the phone where the calls are suposed to go to, the phone
> rings --- and when I pick it up, there is no audio in either direction.

Sounds like the setup is trying to do direct media - which obviously cannot
work between an IPv4-only phone and an IPv6-only provider.

Make sure Asterisk remains in the audio path and it should "almost transcode"
for you.

I have audio working over just such an arrangement (in my case, an IPv4-only
provider, and phones connected via IPv6) without problems.

Antony.

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no
difference, whereas in practice there is.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.