[asterisk-users] Asterisk 18 in chan_sip mode

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Wed May 12 13:21:08 CDT 2021

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 3:15 PM Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:

> So installed Asterisk 18. changed the modules.conf to remove the "noload =
> chan_sip" line
> and did some testing it seems to run fine in that mode.
>
> I configured asterisk 18 with  --with-pjproject-bundled
> --with-jansson-bundled
>
> Couple questions:
> 1) Is the older chan_sip still supported ? Bug fixes/security fixes?

It hasn't been "supported" in quite some time. It doesn't receive bug fixes
generally unless a community member decides to do so. It does receive
security fixes. It will be removed in the future[1].

> 2) Any issues running that way ?

You can run it if you want, but know that it will go away in the future.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Module+Deprecations

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead