[asterisk-users] Help needed with ARI RTP externalMedia bridging please

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Jan 4 10:22:52 CST 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM Jonathan H <lardconcepts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Very simply, I want to pipe some external audio into a channel (bridge)
> using the externalMedia channel option.
> Running Asterisk 18 on ubuntu, here's what I did to try and test things
> out:
>
> open a console tab
> vlc -vvv https://media-ssl.musicradio.com/LBCUK --sout
> '#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=ulaw,channels=1,samplerate=8000}:rtp{dst=127.0.0.1,port=5005}'
>
> open another console tab
> wscat -c
> "ws://localhost:8088/ari/events?api_key=asterisk:asterisk&app=playback-example"
>
> open another console tab
> curl -v -u asterisk:asterisk -X POST "
> http://localhost:8088/ari/channels/externalMedia?external_host=127.0.0.1:5005&channelId=musicChannel&format=ulaw&app=playback-example
> "
> curl -v -u asterisk:asterisk -X POST "
> http://localhost:8088/ari/bridges/musicBridge?type=mixing"
> then dial in from a phone
> curl -v -u asterisk:asterisk -X GET "http://localhost:8088/ari/channels"
> and note the new call channel ID
> curl -v -u asterisk:asterisk -X POST "
> http://localhost:8088/ari/bridges/musicBridge/addChannel?channel=<phone
> channel from above>,musicChannel"

You're sending media from Asterisk to VLC, not the other way around,
currently. You need to examine the result from the call to
channels/externalMedia, this will include the RTP port that Asterisk is
listening for media on. You then need to pass this to vlc somehow (I'm not
familar with the VLC options) and have it send RTP to that port.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead