[asterisk-users] call an IP camera?

hw hw at gc-24.de
Thu Sep 24 11:28:13 CDT 2020

On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 16:57 +0200, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 24 September 2020 at 16:31:33, hw wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to "call" an IP camera?
>
> Only if it talks SIP (which some do, generally door entry cameras with a
> push
> button input and often a lock release output).
>
> > I'm thinking about something like bridging with a music stream, but
> > instead
> > of streaming audio, bridge with the video stream from the camera.
>
> So, maybe you should treat it like a music stream such as music on hold?
>
> > It would be very cool if I could just call the camera and see what's
> > going
> > on.  Ffmpeg shows the following streams available from the camera:
> >
> >     Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080,
> > 12
> > fps, 12 tbr, 90k tbn, 24 tbc
> >
> >     Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 640x352, 12
> > fps,
> > 12 tbr, 90k tbn, 24 tbc
> >
> > Perhaps it's not even necessary to recode the stream?
>
> Very likely, but what you're looking at there is the media format; you
> also
> need some sort of signalling protocol if you're going to call it from
> Asterisk.
>
> I would start with something like
> https://www.voip-info.org/asterisk-config-musiconholdconf/
> https://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+config+musiconhold.conf
> (or any more up to date documentation if you can find it).
>
> I've never tried that with video, but given how the media negotiation
> between
> Asterisk and SIP devices is handled, I would expect it to work given
> compatible codecs.

Unfortunately, musiconhold.conf doesn't understand rtsp:

#033[1;37mmoh_parse_options#033[0m: Playlist entries must be a URL or
absolute path, 'rtsp://10.10.30.20/12' provided.

Asterisk then ignores the configured music class when it's given like this
in musiconhold.conf (and plays music from the default class instead):

[test]
mode=playlist
entry=rtsp://10.10.30.20/12

So I guess that musiconhold may be limited to audio only.  But who knows?
 What are the requirements for the URLs that can be used with the
'playlist' option in musiconhold.conf?

It's generally possible to stream stuff to devices (like phones), like when
using the Playback() dialplan application to stream audio.  Is it somehow
possible to stream audio from programs into channels from the dialplan or
somewhere else without using musiconhold.conf?  If that was possible, it
might be possible to stream video instead.

Does pjsip support video?  [1] would indicate that it doesn't.  However,
that information seems to be over 8 years old :(

[1]: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Video+Telephony