[asterisk-users] Random CPU spikes in Asterisk

Dovid Bender dovid at telecurve.com
Tue Sep 8 18:56:35 CDT 2020

Hi All,

I built a system which allows people to call a phone number and listen to
various online media streams (train yards, radio stations etc). I use
ffmpeg + MusicOnHold to play the streams. The system also allows callers to
hear pre recorded content.  Normally about 250 calls equates to about
 150-175% CPU usage. Every so often I see the load spiking (max 16 which is
fine considering the box has 36 cores). When this happened I started poking
around and ran top with shift + p real fast. You see the CPU of Asterisk
averaging at about 160% and every so often for a brief moment (perhaps
500-1000ms) the cpu usage of Asterisk will jump. Sometimes to 350%, 600%
etc. and then go back down. How would I go about troubleshooting why
asterisk keeps having these little jumps? As of now they don’t seem to be
hurting me but I assume as usage grows it will.

TIA

Regards,

Dovid