[asterisk-users] Meaning of RTT in channelstats

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Sat May 16 14:18:39 CDT 2020

On 5/16/20 9:57 AM, Michael Maier wrote:
> On 15.05.20 at 14:31 Doug Lytle wrote:
>> Google says Round Trip Time
>>
>> https://www.voip-info.org/asterisk-rtcp/
> That doesn't answer my question (I know the abbreviation RTT). Therefore I'm trying again:
>
> I'm just wondering what the RTT *exactly* means. Where are the exact measuring points located?
>
> => How are the RTT values exactly calculated? Which values are actually used for?
>
> => What about the processing time between the inbound leg and the outbound leg (transcoding, ...)?

Somebody else more knowledgeable then me will have to chime in here, but
my guess would be, that since TCP is stateful, it's the amount of time
that a RTCP packet taken to be acknowledged the recipient.

The measure points located would probably be each hop in the path, which
typically can be visualized with traceroute.

Similar to ping; the math behind it I would have no clue.

And again, just a guess.

Doug